Metales- Distrito Distinto/Different Districts

     Almost a month ago MetaLES art space had an anniversary exhibition which took the unique form of artists choosing a song they love and then building something to represent it.  MetaLES has been a great supporter of the arts over many years and this exhibition asked some of their past exhibiting artists to give back by creating something for the anniversary.  It is run by lanjran choche, Ux Hax and Romy Nayar.  When I was asked to create something for the anniversary I looked back to what I had done there in 2011.  It was called BOX and you can see the machinima below.

     There is something I enjoy experimenting with which is a script that will remember where you have placed an object then with a command will turn it physical so that it falls as though gravity pulls it back to the ground.  I have long dreamed of creating an entire city in this manner where you walk down a street to see buildings rise and fall around you.  You could walk into some houses or shops and discover old pictures or letters that created a narrative.  It would be a really impressive build except sadly it would be very laggy too with all the scripts and physics involved.  In fact for Further Along the Path, an exquisite corpse build from a few years ago, my scene was laggy enough that it affected the scripts of Glyph Graves work so I removed it.
     After looking at BOX I again remembered how fun it was to work with the rising and falling cubes and decided to create a house that rose and fell around you as you made your way to a poem that I wrote a while ago that kind of captured how I felt about the Fever Ray song I used.  The exhibition has some of Second Life's top artists involved and here is a complete list of the artists and the song they chose.  This is the SLURL to the start and this is the SLURL to my work.  I have some directions there for a windlight I used when building it and also directions on how to put on shadows with projection lighting.  The shadows and projections are pretty important so put them on if you can.  There was a bit of a glitch with the HUD which lets you move from exhibit to exhibit so if it is not working for you pop over to Ziki Questi's blog which includes all the teleports.  Ziki is such a showoff with her enlightening and efficient posts.. I am usually just pleased if I don't have spelling mistakes and here she is giving SLURLS to all the artists locations.. sigh.  The exhibition is not to be missed and the work will be up until August 13th.  I know I am very late blogging it, but you know sometimes late posts are good because many bloggers just post on the opening day and there can be very little exposure after that.  So yes that is my excuse.

http://zikiquesti.blogspot.ca/2015/07/distrito-distinto.html
  • Bryn Oh –             “keep the streets empty for me” by fever ray
  • Cica Ghost –         “Lullaby” by The Cure
  • Maya Paris  –         X-Ray Spex, “Oh Bondage! Up Yours!”
  • Giovanna Cerise  –  “Innuendo” by Queen
  • Betty Tureaud  –   Rolling Stones,  “She’s a Rainbow “
  • Rebeca Bashly  –   “Chop Suey” by System of a Down
  • Eupalinos Ugajin – “Estudio, Trabajo Y Fusil! Rockingchair”
  • JadeYu Fhang   –   Massive Attack,  “What Your Soul Sings”
  • Alpha Auer  –         Alpha Auer,  “Grid Factory “
  • Romy Nayar –       Mylène Farmer, “Nuit d’hiver (Chloé)”


      And in other news viviana avedon just linked me to an article on windows 10 which talks about the built in screen recording app that can create video in MP4 (much smaller files than Fraps default avi) This is great news for anyone who uses a PC and wanted to take up machinima.

 http://lifehacker.com/record-videos-of-apps-in-windows-10-with-the-built-in-x-1721418901

Comments

Popular Posts